Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Truth

I think it's time I told you the truth. 

Loosen up. No embarrassing secrets to follow. 

The truth is that you can follow all of these homemaking tips. You can read books that I like. You can set goals and even reach them. You can have a schedule. You can get out of bed early.  You can check off any list of good things that you want and guess what? You can still miss out on the most important thing. 

What is this most important thing? Time with Jesus. I'm contemplating a subtle philosophical change I've experienced in the past month. It's so subtle that I can't really put into words exactly what's changed yet but there has been a change. It's shown up in my behavior in a certain area I've been praying about. It's shown up in my attitude during my days.  And it's not something I did on my own; I can take no credit. This is an area I've tried to improve in and I've managed for a day or two before I give in to mental exhaustion. My own strength isn't enough. So where did this change come from? Reading my Bible and praying. Letting Jesus work in my heart. 

Ever admitted to yourself that you're the problem? That it's not your husband or your kids. It's not your parents or your preacher. It's not your situation in life or your job. It's one of my most used "desperate" pleas in prayer. I know the problem is ME! And when I pray about situations I admit that and then ask God to change me instead of changing what's going on. To change my heart. To change my thoughts. To change my attitude. 

And He can. He does. But it takes time. This doesn't happen overnight; it's an abiding relationship with God day after day. Reading and praying. Then living. Reading and praying. And working. Reading and praying some more. 

So if you can only do one thing forget the goals, the books, the tips, the schedules. Pursue a relationship with God. Read your Bible every single day. Pray. Obey what you read. Our preacher tells us that people never grow past their obedience. When you stop obeying you stop growing right there. 
The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord. Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established. Proverbs 16:1,3
God can change your heart. He can prepare you for your work. He can guide your thoughts. But you have to fill yourself with Him. You can't pour junk in and expect Him to have free course in your life (2 Thessalonians. 3:1).  Transformation- and that's what I'm after- a real change in my heart, not outward conformation to some rules- comes only through renewing our minds (Romans 12:2). What are you putting in your head? What are you thinking? Watching? Hearing?

Spend time with Jesus. Admit you are the problem. Ask Him for help. 



No comments:

Post a Comment