Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Days I Don't Feel Pretty

I have some weeks days when I don't feel pretty. I don't like my hair. I don't like my face. I don't like the way my clothes look. You ever been there? From my observations and questioning this is pretty universal to females. This used to get me really down and it was all I could think about. I was just sure that everybody else thought I looked pretty bad too. But you know what? Nobody really pays that much attention to me. And if they do, they are not as hard on me as I am on myself. So now I have a new approach.

1. Do my best. Even when I don't feel like it's helping, I still fix my hair and makeup. Why give up totally? This is something I do every day; it's a nice habit to have. Just do your thing anyway!
applying makeup in mirror

2. Forget about it and smile. I purposefully look in the mirror, say I did the best I could, and go on with life. Smile. Seriously, try it. There's an old song that plays on one of my Pandora stations that says, "It's what you wear from ear to ear, and not from head to toe!" And that's so true. The prettiest people can appear very unattractive if they look grumpy. (And I have a thing about the grumpy mom of little children look anyway.)

3. Focus on others. Now that I'm not focusing on what I look like I try to specifically focus on encouraging others. What can I do to help them? That gives me something to think about instead of my appearance.

Actually, this isn't a bad practice even on the days when I feel like I look ok. Do your best, add a smile, and focus on others!



No comments:

Post a Comment