Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chicken Macaroni and Cheese

I love macaroni and cheese! I always use Velveeta. I know, fake food. But we don't eat it often :) But I wanted a one dish dinner so we came up with this! Meat, veggies, pasta, and cheese. What could go wrong?

1 1/2 cups cooked cubed chicken
2 large carrots, chopped
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
8 ounces velveeta, cubed
1/2 stick butter
4 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. each nutmeg and ground mustard

I cooked my chicken and cut up my carrots at lunchtime to speed up prep.



Cube your Velveeta. Then you won't burn your sauce cutting up your cheese. Fill pot with water and add carrots. Bring to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Add peas the last two minutes of cooking. Drain.



Return pot to burner over medium low heat. Melt butter.



Add enough flour to reach this consistency. Cook while stirring for two minutes to remove any flour taste. Pour in most of the milk and stir until thickened. Add more milk if necessary. Add seasonings and stir in Velveeta. After cheese has melted, add pasta, chicken, and veggies to the sauce.



I even made some for Micah with Cambrooke cheese sauce powder. They are pretty similar, aren't they? (The one on the left is Micah's.)



Yum! And we have leftovers for lunch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment