Monday, December 19, 2011

Beef Stew

Beef stew is a perfect cold weather meal! Especially if you can make it in the Crock-Pot and eat it after church on Sunday.

1 package stew meat (roughly one pound)
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. each salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, steak seasoning, and chili powder
3 cups beef broth
2 cups chicken broth
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (large chunks)
5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, cut into large wedges
1 1/2 cup peas
1/2 tsp. each oregano, basil, and thyme
2 tsp. salt
2 beef bouillon cubes



Mix together flour and next six seasonings. Sprinkle over meat and stir until meat is coated. Shake off extra flour. Brown meat in skillet over medium heat. Work in batches if your pot isn't big enough. I did two batches. If you put too much meat in the pan it will steam instead of browning.
I have to confess that I have had a tendency in the past to skip this step but it really makes a difference in flavor and taste.



After all your meat is browned, add it to your Crock-Pot. Pour one cup beef broth into your hot pan to deglaze the pan. Scrape the bits of flavor off the bottom of the pan and pour into the Crock-Pot. This also makes it much easier to clean your pan!



Chop your veggies if you haven't already done so. Add veggies to the pot along with the beef broth, chicken broth (I would have used more beef but I didn't have more. I think I liked it with the chicken though). Add remaining seasonings and stir.



I did all this prep work Saturday and put my Crock-Pot liner in the fridge. Then Sunday morning I turned my Crock-Pot on high and cooked it while we were at church. Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
Mix together 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup of the broth from the stew and stir until all the lumps are gone. Add to the stew and cook for 30 more minutes. I did this after church and let it continue cooking while I made biscuits.



Enjoy with your hot, buttered biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment