Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday Favorites

I'm still working on my reading program for this year and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Except for when I read something convicting. Then I'm not so sure about enjoyment...

Right now I'm reading "What Is A Family?" by Edith Schaeffer. She has an unusual writing style but this book is engaging and thought-provoking. I want to share two quotes from the second chapter. 
How precious a thing is the human family. Is it not worth some sacrifice in time, energy, safety, discomfort, work? Does anything come forth without work?... Somebody has to get up early, stay up late, do more than the others, if the human garden is to be a thing of beauty. 
The family is even more important than rare species of birds, and taking on the career of being a mother and wife is a fabulously rare lifework in the twentieth century, and a very challenging job.  
As I copied these two quotes down I flipped through the book I found several others that were equally compelling. The book is worth the money just for the second chapter alone.  I love the "fabulously rare lifework" as a description of marriage and motherhood.  It's starting to really soak into my heart instead of just being in my head. 

A few weeks ago I attended a business dinner with my husband and we sat at a table with two lovely career ladies. We had a great conversation about their jobs and the work they did and not once did I feel the slightest bit bad that I was "only" a wife and mother. Progress is slow but progress does happen. I'm glad God is so patient with me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment