Wednesday, September 11, 2013

God's Will- Today

The surest method of aiming at a knowledge of God's eternal purposes about us is to be found in the right use of the present moment. Each hour comes with some little fagot of God's will fastened upon its back. We have nothing to do, therefore, with anything save the privilege and duty of one hour now passing. This makes the problem of living very simple.  We need not look at our life as a whole, nor even carry the burden of a single year; if we but grasp well the meaning of the one little fragment of time immediately present, and do instantly all the duty and take all the privilege that the one hour brings, we shall thus do that which shall best please God and build up our own life into completeness. It ought never to be hard for us to do this. Living thus we shall make each hour radiant with the radiancy of duty well done, and radiant hours will make radiant years. But the missing of privileges and the neglecting of duties will leave days and years marred and blemished and make life at last like a moth-eaten garment. We must catch the sacred meaning of our opportunities if we would live up to our best.  J.R. Miller, Making the Most of Life (emphasis mine)
photo courtesy of usamedeniz/freedigitalphotos.net

God's will was another one of those things that confused me in high school. (I was apparently very confused then.) To high-school-me God's will was a complicated plan that involved very detail of my life for the next seventy years. But it didn't start until about ten years down the road. I never grasped that there was a God's will for me that day. That hour.

But I'm starting to realize that. God's will is made up of my todays. People who have done great things for Christ were able to do them because they lived the everyday in God's will for them. Only by obeying today can I be useful tomorrow. My dream of a legacy of a lifetime serving God is only possible if I serve God with my hours now.

It matters to God what I am doing right now- with this hour. Every hour. What am I supposed to be doing right now? It doesn't matter if what I'm doing isn't a sin. Is it what I'm supposed to be doing now? I am perfectly willing to serve God on Sundays when it's noticed and  maybe even applauded, but what about on Wednesday mornings when no one is impressed? What about at two in the morning when no one else is up to notice? What about when it means washing dishes and changing diapers and reading rhyming books?

There are 1,440 minutes every day. That's all. Am I spending them doing God's will?

No comments:

Post a Comment