Monday, May 13, 2013

Pancakes!

I've had a pancake obsession for some time. I ate them constantly when I was pregnant with Kevin and it's one craving that did not go away. I found a recipe that was simple and delicious but since I was eating them so often I wanted to make them a little healthier. So I tweaked it some. I'll give you the basic way to make it too. 

3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 egg
1 1/2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. butter, melted

1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

chocolate chips, blueberries, etc. 

Combine milk and vinegar, let sit for five minutes. Heat a pan over medium low heat. 



Combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 



Combine milk mixture, egg, honey, and melted butter. 



Add liquid to dry ingredients while whisking. Really, use a whisk; it incorporates more air into the batter.  Let the batter sit for about five minutes. Believe me. Check out the difference. It gets...almost fluffy. 



Spray pan with cooking spray and measure out pancakes. The recipe will make 6 normal sized pancakes so use discretion with measuring :) 



When bubbles appear in the pancakes add your chocolate chips or blueberries or whatever you are putting in them. Let cook another minute. 



Flip and cook for two to three more minutes. 


Dish out and "cover" with butter. 



Then syrup. Although I should point out that this is a my sized portion of syrup. My husband uses about three times as much. And drinks the extra. *shudders*

If you aren't feeling as healthy, replace the honey with 2 tbsp. sugar; add the sugar to the dry ingredients. And you can use a cup of all-purpose flour in place of the oats and whole wheat flour. The pancakes will be firmer this way. I personally prefer the slightly nutty taste from the whole wheat and oatmeal.  And I feel better about eating them multiple times a week too! 

These freeze and rewarm famously! All this pancake talk has me wanting pancakes so I warmed some up in the oven. I will not tell you what time of night it is in Kentucky as I'm eating pancakes. That would be embarrassing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment