Monday, April 29, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

I grew up less than three hours away from where we live now. 

At least if you make the trip minus small children it's less than three hours. 

Anyway, for the most part, the food is about the same. And why wouldn't it be? But there is one dish I had never heard of until we moved up here. Shepherd's pie. Ever heard of it? I had it at church and fell in love; we've been eating it ever since. I made it for my parents and mom requested the recipe. 

Now my mom is good. She doesn't need this recipe because I explained the whole thing to her. (Maybe that means I'm good?)  But I just realized I had never posted it. So here's this delicious Kentucky meal! 

1 lb. hamburger meat
salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, steak seasoning
1/2 package mushrooms
1 cup corn, frozen or canned (oh, you can use mixed veggies here; it's just not my preference)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (or the equivalent: I use this recipe)
2 cups mashed potatoes
1-2 cups cheddar cheese


Brown meat with my normal meat seasonings (you know: salt, pepper, etc)


Then I whipped up a double batch of the cream of soup. 


Slice your mushrooms.


Add mushrooms to pan and cook for three minutes. 


Pour corn into pan. 


Then pour in your cream of soup.


Yup! Used Dexter to mash my potatoes! :) 


Pour meat mixture into baking dish. 


Top with seasoned mashed potatoes. 


Pour desired amount of cheese on top. Now I believe the best part of any meal is the cheese so my desired amount is a little larger. And cheese is expensive. Gotta work on that!


I cleaned my oven so I put the baking dish on a cookie sheet. Keep that oven pretty! Bake at 400 until cheese is browned and filling is bubbly. 


And if you don't leave yours in the oven and forget it's there your cheese won't pull away from the sides of the pan like this. But it's yummy either way. 

Comfort food at its finest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment