Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Our Model

Role models, mentors, life coaches: everywhere we turn people are looking for someone to show them how to live. This is not always a bad thing; I've learned so much from the people God has placed in my life. But our ultimate role model is Christ! He never failed.

Ephesians 5:1-2 states, "Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling savor."

We are to walk in love "as Christ loved us." My motivation to love others is that Christ loves me. But love is acted out in that next phrase, "And hath given himself for us." Christ gave Himself for me. I didn't deserve it. I don't deserve it. I can never deserve it. But He loves me so much that He gave up everything for me. And I'm to love others enough to give myself for them.

This is not the message you hear from the world. The world says "Find yourself!" "Fulfill your dreams!" And they don't care who you hurt to do that. Leave your family and live your dreams. No matter that you have crushed the hearts of your husband and children. Climb your way to a position of power and don't worry about who you step on on your way.

But what does God say? "Give yourself." It's not exciting. It's not flashy. It's not even very appealing. But we do have a model for it. Christ. And our goal is to be like Christ, right?

Christ's giving of Himself was an offering and sacrifice to God! We can give a daily sacrifice to God by giving ourselves to others. The sacrifices were so important to God in the Old Testament. And in the New Testament we are admonished to "present your bodies a living sacrifice..." (Rom. 12:1) We can be that sacrifice when we give ourselves to others.

Give yourself. Christ put aside His own needs to serve others. He willingly walked the road to Calvary to fulfill God's plan. He patiently dealt with people who turned their backs on Him. Christ had compassion. He served. He loved. He obeyed. What a model to follow!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, Lisa. I just posted about being a Titus 2 woman to younger women. :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete