Friday, November 4, 2011

Oatmeal Streusel Apple Pie

I LOVE pie. Really, I do. And I love apple pie. There's a lady at my church that makes an amazing apple pie. I could eat the whole thing. (I haven't, just in case you were wondering!) This is not her apple pie; I wouldn't dare try to replicate it.

But this is an amazing apple pie! My husband said so and he's the expert here. And I made it yesterday and it's gone. That's why we need to quit this dessert making...the scale won't like me soon.

Now notes about the pie. I know, you are supposed to use tart apples. Well, I didn't have tart apples. I had gala apples so I just used less sugar. If you use tart apples put in more sugar. And they were small apples so I used 7, normally you can just use five larger apples. Now on to the pie....

Pie Crust:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 sticks butter
3-4 tbsp. cold water

Pie Filling:
7 Gala apples, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 stick cold butter




Cube butter and place in freezer. Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add processor and pulse until crumbly. Slowly add water. Don't overmix. Once you get to 4 tbsp. stop! Dump it out on the cutting board and knead together. It will pull together nicely. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for an hour. Unwrap and roll out. Place in pie dish. (Or round cake pan if you don't have a pie dish....)



So I really didn't measure my flour and sugar :) This is how much flour I used.



Mix together flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.



Quarter your apples.



Peel, core, and thinly slice.



Mix first four ingredients for topping.



Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender.



Toss apple slices in the filling mixture. Place in pie crust.



Spread streusel topping over the apples.

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Or until pie crust and topping is browned and apples are tender.



Cut and serve. Store in refrigerator if you have leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment