Monday, September 12, 2011

Stromboli

So in real life I just call these "calzones." They really aren't though because calzones have ricotta cheese in them. And no matter how hard you look at these pictures you won't find any ricotta cheese. Regardless of what I call them my husband loves them! And they're pretty.

Makes 4 stomboli

You need:
Pizza Dough
8 slices provolone cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese mixture, plus a little extra
pizza toppings- black olives, mushrooms, pepperoni, onions, peppers, etc.
1 egg yolk, beaten and mixed with 1 tbsp. cold water



Prep your veggies. Sometimes I divide them into even portions for each stromboli. Also preheat your oven to 400 degrees. If you are using a pizza stone, put it in the oven now so that it heats preheats as well! That will give you the best results. Trust me. I've tried it other ways.



Divide your dough in half. Then divide in half again. This should give you four pieces of approximately equal size.



Roll dough out into a circle roughly 8 inches in diameter. (I don't actually measure it.)



Place two slices of cheese in center of dough. Layer pepperoni and veggies on top of the cheese.



View from the top



Cover with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.



Carefully fold the dough over forming a pocket.



Press the dough together and then fold up the outer edge (see picture) to seal the stromboli.



You need places for the steam to escape so I get creative. Justin's has different fillings so I carve a "J" into his so that we can tell them apart.



Brush with the beaten egg yolk. Don't use too much. You don't want scrambled egg on your stromboli. Or maybe you do. But I don't.



Sprinkle with a little bit of shredded cheese. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown. Serve with marinara sauce.



I told you they were pretty! These reheat fantastically in the microwave. They might actually be better that way because they aren't so hot you can't eat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment