Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Be Your Best...At Home

There are several people who only see our family a couple of times a year and only for one specific purpose. They don't really know that much about us or why we do what we do.  I once remarked to Justin that I felt incorrectly perceived by a few of these people. He thought for a minute then agreed that I might be. (Not what I wanted to hear!) But then he said, "But you are the same everywhere so I don't think it's anything you are doing wrong."



That was reassuring to me. I can't really do anything about what others think about me or our family, even if they see us more often or we try to explain our motives. What I can do is try to serve God consistently or daily. God wants me to take up my cross daily. I don't get to wear my Christianity only on Sundays or only in front of people I want to impress. I get to live out, or die to, the life God has called me to every day.
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. -Luke 9:23
God doesn't want a parade of my "spirituality" when I am in full view of others. God wants my daily life at home with my husband and my children (and the laundry and dishes) to shine for Him. I find that it much harder.  And this isn't just true in my life; this has been God's way for His people throughout time. Joseph may have run the entire country of Egypt for Pharaoh but it was only after he did his best for God in the prison.
But the Lord was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison. And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the prisoners that were in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it. The keeper of the prison looked not to any thing that was under his hand; because the Lord was with him, and that which he did, the Lord made it to prosper. -Genesis 39: 21-23
Joseph served with excellence when it would have been easy to say that it didn't matter. He pursued the work God gave him with all of his strength and ability and didn't wait for someone important to show up to notice. We form invaluable habits when we pursue excellence in little things, in hidden things. 
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. -Colossians 3:23 (emphasis mine)
God wants me to do ALL in His name: encouraging my husband, changing diapers, cleaning toilets, reading "The Cat in the Hat," preparing meals, disciplining toddlers, teaching preschoolers, or writing blog posts. There is nothing so lowly or menial that God doesn't want me to give it my best. Nothing so unimportant that I can give it less than my best attitude.

God doesn't want me to sit at the piano on Sundays and smile and pretend to be an example of a Godly woman while my family knows that I grouched at them all morning and was too undisciplined to get out of bed in time to manage our mornings.
He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. -Luke 16:10
I want to know that if I was nice to someone it was my husband. If I was patient with someone it was my little boys. If I encouraged anybody it was one of the dear people who live in this house with me. I want to give my best to my family, to these people that God has given into my care. I want to pour out God's love on them before I try to give anything to others. I want them to have my smiles, my fun, my heart.

And I don't mean that I don't try to be a good testimony and encourage others. But it won't mean anything if it's just a show that I put on in public and isn't real in my daily life. And who better to tell me than my husband? And if he thinks it's true you can bet that I want it to be. I don't want to disappoint him! 

If we are displaying a Christlike attitude and character at home, you can bet that it will come out when we are in public. Who we are at home is who we are. You can't hide there for long. 

What are you giving your family today? Are you saving your best to impress someone important? Be your best at home and that character will shine in public too. 

3 comments:

  1. Starting small and being consistent can take us so much farther than if we try to achieve the big things without tackling the little things. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The little things are so important even if they don't seem like it.

      Delete