Monday, October 17, 2011

Beef Wellington

This probably qualifies as my husband's favorite meal. I haven't said that before, have I? Because seriously, this one is his favorite!

And yes, I know beef wellington is supposed to be fancy with pastry and a serious hunk of meat. But my grocery budget doesn't support that. :) Plus, this is how my mom taught me to make it. And you don't mess with momma's recipes!

1 pound ground meat
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 can tomato paste
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 refrigerated pizza crust or french loaf

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown ground meat with salt and pepper. Drain off grease and add cayenne pepper. Cook for two minutes. Add tomato paste and incorporate into the meat mixture. Melt cheese into meat. Roll out the pizza crust or french loaf into a rectangle. Place meat onto one side of the bread and roll up. Place seam side down in a greased loaf pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes until bread is browned.



Turn onto a plate and slice.



Enjoy! We always eat this with mashed potatoes and a green veggie.

(Side note: I almost always use ground turkey now. I ALWAYS season ground turkey with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and steak seasoning.)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks so fancy! I'll definitely be giving this recipe a try. My husband is a meat man! And you're so right, don't go messing with mom's recipes!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom's recipe sounds great! This is something new that I will have to try-out with My Man at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you both enjoy it as much as we do! :)

    ReplyDelete