Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Encouragement and a Call to Obedience

Want to know one of my favorite things about daily Bible reading? God uses passages I've read time and time before to speak to my heart about an issue I am having right then. It's amazing! The Bible truly is a living Book. There is so much to be gained from reading every single day and not just jumping around randomly looking for inspiration. God can find us in the pages of all of His Word (even Ezekiel and Leviticus)!

Last week I was suffering from an attitude problem I couldn't exactly identify until I started reading Hebrews. Hebrews 1:3 gives this marvelous description of Jesus: "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the majesty on high."

-He was the brightness of God's glory.
-The express image of God's person.
-He upholds all thing by His Word.

And he purged our sins by Himself. It wasn't too small or too lowly a job. He came Himself. He didn't send someone else.




I don't worry about the smallness of my work but more about the smallness of the scope of my job. Who am I actually impacting? Of course I know the true answer; there is nothing more important than nurturing souls. But that's not what matters.

Jesus didn't come for a few days or a few years to fulfill this mission. He lived 30+ years on earth- most of it in obscurity- to redeem our souls.

So if I feel like my work is lowly and unnoticed, that's ok. What matters is my obedience, my pursuit of excellence right here where God has placed me.

If I could encourage you... if you're struggling, keep obeying and keep reading. God can speak to your heart too.


1 comment:

  1. First: congratulations to you all on your expanding family! :)
    Second: thanks for the great reminder about faithfulness and God's living Word! I recently read Jeremiah and was so moved and challenged by his obedience to what God asked of him.

    ReplyDelete