Monday, February 11, 2013

Pork and Black Bean Chimichanga

Justin and I both loved the chimichangas we had a few weeks ago. I really wanted to try a pork one and after I made a pork roast I had the perfect opportunity! We knew we were going to make these so we intentionally didn't eat all the roast. Trust me, we easily could. We're big eaters. 

I love pork. The roast had a honey parmesan seasoning but I reseasoned it for the chimichangas. Yummy, savory pork. Crispy tortillas. Food is so delicious!

Last time, I used the huge tortillas. This time I used the regular taco size because I wanted a bigger crispy tortilla to filling ratio. This is the way I will do them from here forward. 

1/2 onion, diced
Pork- I used leftovers from a roast
1 cup black beans
1 tbsp. taco seasoning
1/2 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/2 can tomato paste
2 cups cheddar cheese
8 tortillas
1/2 stick butter, melted


Brown onion in a little butter or oil. I like to cook mine on a low temperature long enough for it to be soft. I have a thing about onions. They should only be crispy if it's a bloomin' onion. Or occasionally onion rings. Otherwise, I want the flavor minus the texture. But back to the story..


Turn down heat on the skillet and add pork. Stir and add more oil if the meat is sticking. Really you are just warming up the pork. Add your taco seasoning as well. 


Add black beans.



And diced tomatoes...and tomato paste...


I divide my filling into eight sections right here. I have no ability to divide equally while I'm filling them. Some would be huge...and others little bitty. You should see me fill muffin tins!


Coat both sides of the tortilla with the melted butter


Slap one section of your filling on the tortilla.


Top with 1/4 cup cheese. 


Fold into the cool shape. You can see HERE to see how to do this. Bake at 425 until shell is crispy and brown. I always flip mine about 10 minutes in because the bottom browns fastest. 


Yummy. Crispy. Savory pork and beans. I would eat them right now. Except I have no pork...sad.


 Finished product! Chimichangas, Mexican rice, and corn. Go enjoy. Eat your face off.  (What does that even mean?? I don't know but it sounds like ferocious eating!)

No comments:

Post a Comment