Sunday, February 13, 2011

An Unexpected Blessing

My son has recently started waking up in the middle of the night and staying awake for a while. He doesn’t want to play; he wakes up and goes back to sleep and wakes up and goes back to sleep multiple times. He often cries when he wakes up and he can take up to an hour to actually sleep soundly again. Before we moved his bed down I could lay in the floor while he was dozing but now he can see me and thinks that means I should be holding him. So I stand. Yes, stand. In the middle of the night behind a bookcase so he can’t see me. If I go back to bed I just get up every time he cries and that’s pointless torture. The good thing about this is that I normally pray for everybody on my prayer list. I’ve contemplated putting this time to even better use by doing crunches while I’m praying, but somehow, at two in the morning, tight abs don’t seem that important. But people who have prayed for me and been a part of my life are on my mind in the middle of the night. I remember burdens they have shared and battles they have faced and I pray. This middle of the night time with God has become so special. Maybe Micah has helped me, in more ways than one, spend more time on my knees (figuratively speaking, of course!) So the next time you wake up in the night, roll over and go back to sleep knowing that somewhere a momma is praying for you.

.

1 comment: