Thursday, November 13, 2014

Today's Energy

Much to my husband's dismay, "The Sound of Music" is one of my favorite movies. (I'm not cruel; I don't ask him to watch it with me.) The music is incredible; I play it around the house while we're cleaning sometimes. I'm sure the boys will thank me for that when they are grown.

In one part of the movie Maria is exhorted- in stirring song, of course- to find "A dream that will need all the love you can give- Every day of your life- For as long as you live!" (Didn't you just sing that in your head??) 



No one writes a movie about the person who just slouched through life on the couch putting forth little effort. It might be comfortable but it's a lot of other words too: boring, mediocre, lame, pointless. When I'm striving to serve God in my life I've noticed that at the end of the day, I'm tired. A good tired that says I tried to give it my best but still tired. I used to think this was a bad thing. "Why am I so tired? Always tired." But then one day I questioned my reasoning, "What on earth am I saving today's energy for?"
I have one desire now- to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it. -Elisabeth Elliot
This work- being a wife, a mom, a homemaker- is worth all my energy, my effort, and my time. If I am in God's will and if you are in God's will we should each bring our best to the table each day asking God to work through us. So often I am guilty of trying to conserve, as if my goal is to not be tired at the end of the day. Why am I trying to keep today's energy? I don't need it tomorrow! When I remind myself that my goal is to give my all to God's work today I find I can smile and go on when I wanted to quit. 

Yes, I said God's work. This work that I am doing is God-ordained. He made me to help my man. He gave me His children to train and love. He assigned me this home to care for. I am on personal assignment from God to these people! How that thought changes my attitude and my approach. If I am on personal assignment from God I want to do my best! I want to be tired at the end of the day because I spent the day living and serving. 
The greatest error is not in trying and failing but that in trying we do not give our best effort.
Every single day I live is worth that day's energy. I may not have enough energy when I look at the week, or month, or year. I may not have the time when I consider all that I must do in the next ten years. But I do have the energy for God's work today. I do have the strength to put into God's work today. I do have my best to give in service today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment