Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Families Are Work; Work Is Good. (Or 3 Thoughts for Hard Days)

I think I've mentioned before, like maybe here and here, that some days are hard. And also that hard days are ok. Sometimes on those hard days we need the encouragement that what we are doing matters. That the hard is accomplishing something in the lives of our families.












So what do we do on those hard days?

1. Pray like it's your lifeline. Because it is. God really can help you in practical ways. We want to make Him spiritual and spooky but He's practical and real. And although "Help me, Lord!" works here are some prayer ideas if you are drawing a blank. Pray for a cheerful attitude, a thankful heart, and wisdom and patience for different situations and people.

2. Depend on truth. I wrote one day a few weeks ago that I "buried myself in truth" during quiet time. I can assure you that I needed it. Obviously the best place to find truth is in the Bible. And here are some posts where I've written out some truths I'm learning in my life.
-God loves you
-God is your helper
-Your relationship with God is the most important part
-Obedience is the goal

3. Remember it's a season. Whatever season you are in, it will pass. The children will grow up. The sickness will ease; the job circumstances will change. And if by some chance it doesn't end here, heaven is much longer than our lives.

To leave you with more eloquent words,
How precious a thing is the human family. Is it not worth some sacrifice in time, energy, safety, discomfort, work? Does anything come forth without work?... Somebody has to get up early, stay up late, do more than the others, if the human garden is to be a thing of beauty.  Edith Schaeffer in "What Is A Family?" 
And then in another passage she says, "love has work to do." And I don't know about you but around here love has plenty of work to do. There are diapers to be changed, clothes to wash, supper to cook, little boys to read to, and playing to be done outside. Let's get to work and let's do it with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment