Thursday, July 31, 2014

God's Love from Isaiah

Isaiah is quickly becoming one of my favorite books of the Bible. I'm not a Bible scholar and there are parts of it that I don't understand but there are also many amazing things that I want to remember and internalize so that they become part of who I am. Today I want to talk specifically about two verses. I believe that if we all understood these verses we could walk in confidence as God's ladies and encourage one another instead of allowing insecurity to grip our hearts.


Isaiah 43:1 says, "But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine." (emphasis mine)

Isaiah 43:7 says, "Even everyone that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him." 

I want to note six things from these verses. 

1. God redeemed me. I was His to begin with and then sin happened. Isn't that how every story starts now? But God sent Jesus to die on the cross to buy me back. To pay again for something that should have been His to begin with. He didn't have to do that. He choose to redeem me. 

2. He knows my name. In a world of seven billion people (and that's just the ones alive now) God knows my name. It astounds me that God sees me in the vastness of the universe and the noise of all the people. 

3. I am His.  God claims me as His own. He adopted me into His own family (Eph. 1) and I belong to Him. 

4. I am called by His name. Christian means Christ-like. God sees me through the blood of Jesus and therefore, without sin. 

5. I am created for His glory. There's my purpose right there: the glory of God. God made me for that specific purpose: that all I am and do would bring glory to Him. If you have ever doubted that your life held meaning, there you go. Of course it seems overwhelming to think that's what we are supposed to do but remember, God left us the Holy Spirit to do the work through us. We have the same Spirit in us that raised Jesus from the dead (Rom. 8:11). That is incredible to me! 

6. God made me. And not just made me- formed me. It wasn't like a cake that you mix together and then dump in a pan. It was like the delicate frosting creations that artists form and shape and carefully place. Let's also note that Is. 44:2 says that God "formed thee from the womb". God was making you to be something special for Him from the time you were conceived. Even if you were a surprise to your parents you were planned by God. 

These verses repeat God's love to me. I am to meditate on these truths of Scripture and grow in confidence in Christ because He made me. He has a purpose for me. I belong to Him. My boys and I are also working on memorizing Isaiah 43:7 because I want them to know these truths as well. 

You are not a mistake. God formed you in the womb with a purpose. Regardless of how you feel about your looks, talents, abilities, or place in life, God is watching over you, loving you. Can you ask God to settle those truths in your heart so that you can live for Him? Countless ladies (who know much more than I do) have commented on how it is impossible to truly live for God unless you know that He loves you. And God does love you. 

What's your favorite "love" passage from the Bible? 

No comments:

Post a Comment