Thursday, March 20, 2014

The King and A Mother

Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skillful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.  And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king's meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king. Daniel 1:4-5
These children were captives from a foreign nation and the king had no interest in them besides what they could do for him. Because he wanted something back he poured resources, time, and skills into shaping these children. And it paid off. I don't know how the others did but we all know how Daniel turned out. And Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego were no slackers either.






I think we mothers could learn something from this king. These children of mine are precious to me. I'm not after what they can do for me but what they can do for God. There is an eternal purpose in rearing these children. My motivation should go far beyond the king's. Nourish means "to promote growth." It's an active word and an active role. It's adding the positive and not just removing the negative. Nourishing requires my involvement and my interest.

-I am "in charge" of this kingdom. This home world that shapes my children's worldview is almost entirely my domain. It is my privilege and my responsibility to create a home that honors God.

-I am to promote the growth of our children: spiritual, physical, mental, emotional. If I am not interested, who is? Who else is going to care about these precious babies like I do?

-I am to nourish with purpose and intention. The men that were in charge of educating and training Daniel's generation had a vision and some goals for their work. They knew what they wanted the end product to be. What is my vision as a mom? Do I understand the task before me?

My children have the ability to learn: my purpose is to mold them to serve God. They will absorb what they see to be true in our lives. Do my children matter enough for me to grasp God's vision for mothering? Do they matter enough for me to leave lesser things to devote the time and skills necessary to loving and training them?

So often I'm convicted about why the right purpose doesn't motivate us the way some worldly purpose can. We will work and strive for money, for promotion, for fame; but not for God's kingdom and purpose. Where are our hearts centered?

What is your vision as a mom? How are you living out your vision for motherhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment