Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fab 5: Freezer Foods

Freezer food is a great time-saver for cooking! I love having already prepped or ready to prep food in my freezer. I try to keep these items stocked at all times.

photo courtesy of patpitchaya/freedigitalphotos.net


1. Roasted, cubed chicken. I add this to everything. Soup, pasta, casseroles, you name it and it saves serious time. No mess, no fuss. And much cheaper if you buy the chicken on sale!

2. Hamburger meat. Now when I was pregnant with Kevin, I actually froze cooked and seasoned ground beef. Much more of a time-saver but I don't do that on a regular basis. But we eat a lot of hamburger so I keep it around.

3. Black beans. I buy a big bag of dried beans, cook them in the Crock-Pot, and put them in freezer bags once they have cooled. It's cheaper and less salty.

4. Boneless, skinless chicken. This is only prep handy if you take the chicken out of its original packaging, cut off any fat, and freeze flat in freezer bags. It's a cinch to thaw and then cut up to use in your favorite recipe. Because thawing chicken in those original packages makes me want to be a vegetarian.

5. Frozen veggies. I always keep peas, corn, and broccoli. They don't spoil, they're really easy to measure to add to Micah's food, and they're cheap!

What's always in your freezer?

No comments:

Post a Comment