Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Love for the Ordinary

I have a decided love for the ordinary. You know, the daily routine of dishes, laundry, preschool, cooking. The "let's go sit on the potty" and "let's read some books." It's beautiful and grating and memorable. Beautiful because I am living out my dream. I'm here with my babies. I have an amazing husband to love. We live in home that is perfect for us. Grating because, well, have you ever stayed home with small children and attempted to teach them about life? And memorable because the every day is what will be remembered. The daily work and play. We spend it all and then sleep to get up and do it over again. Slightly different to be sure but mostly the same. 



There's a vision in my heart for the work I've been given. I want to focus on the things that matter and leave the other stuff behind. I want to build a deep, enduring love with my husband and enjoy life with him. I want to teach my kids to love God, love to learn, and love to work. I want them to know that I love them. I want to take care of my home and use it to show God's love to my family and to others. I want to develop my musical talents and even blog about life and share what I'm learning. I want to serve at church and win souls to Christ. I want to be a different kind of woman. 

Big dreams? Perhaps not. No one notices most of what I do. In fact, I'm sometimes looked down on for giving my life for this work. This "fabulously rare life work" as Edith Schaeffer says. I'll never see my name in lights or get applauded. But I'm doing a work that matters in the hope of crowns to cast at Jesus' feet when I see Him one day. 

So what will I do?  I'll cook the soup and read to Micah. I'll get Kevin up and snuggle him. I'll iron some work clothes for my hubby. We'll eat dinner and clean the kitchen. Play with the boys. Put them in bed and work on the budget. Practice the keyboard, watch a Star Trek, and go to bed so we can get up and do it all over again.


I have a decided love for the ordinary. Not the days that stand out when others see my life. The normal, everyday that make up the majority of our lives. And it's my job to add the luster and the joy. To make it beautiful and homey. God gave me an important task and I can't neglect it without damage to these dear people that I love. 

I have a decided love for the ordinary. I have a decided love for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment