Thursday, June 18, 2015

Don't Wait for the Big Moments, Live Now

Sometimes its easy for me to look forward to the "big" thing in my day. Whether it's a doctor's appointment or piano lessons or a church it's easy to esteem those activities as more valuable than cleaning the kitchen, making bread, or reading books with little boys. Of course they aren't but it's easy to perceive it that way. 

I've been trying to focus on what's right before me. Proverbs 17:24 states, "Wisdom is before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth." I want to pay attention to what's going on right here. Not what someone else is doing or what I wish I were doing. What's here under my nose. 

I find when I'm focused on one big thing several things happen. 

1. I'm discontent with now.  I'm waiting for the next "thing" instead of being content where I am with what I'm doing. I don't see the value of the present work. 
2. I'm not living presently.  I'm distracted by thoughts of the future instead of putting my mind and hands to work for me where I am now, whether it's lunchtime, writing, or homeschooling. 
3. I get disappointed easily. Sometimes the big things don't happen or they don't live up to my expectations. Ever experienced that? 

What if I focus on now? What if I look at the work in front of me and even if it's "routine" or "mundane" I do with all the excellence I have? Colossians 3:23 says, "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;"

What if I care for our home with excellence, whether it's cleaning or laundry or teaching the boys to pick up toys? It's part of my work: I am to make a place for my people. 

What if I teach and love our kids with excellence? If I persevere through discipline with a good attitude? If I go over the letter sounds again and again until they get them? If I hug those boys tight before bed even when I'm tired?  The time is limited. 

What if I pursue my husband with excellence? If I tried to be the wife that he needs? If I pursued time and passion and friendship with him? My marriage shows Christ. 

What if I tackle my work with excellence? Practicing piano, editing blog posts, updating the budget, even sketching? If I did those things to the best of my ability, building skill upon skill until I could do them better and God could use them for His glory? I don't know what the future holds. 

Wouldn't those things be a worthwhile use of my time? They may not seem exciting now. G arpeggios, repetitions of "you may not hit your brother," and another load of laundry may seem dull and tedious now but they are also beneficial. They are accomplishing worthwhile things for my family and myself. They are forming character and skills in myself and my kids. They are building a foundation to serve on for the rest of my life. They are creating the life of my family. 

So live where you are. Tackle the work right in front of you with excellence. Don't believe the lies that it doesn't matter, that you should wait for big things. You shouldn't. You should devote the same energy and skill to caring for your family and home or to filing those papers that you would to performing in front of thousands. Because no matter what we do, it's all for One. And He sees it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment